Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

My son was in an accident and damage was done to the

Customer Question

My son was in an accident and damage was done to the passenger quarter panel. Will we need to get another panel or can it be dinged out and painted? I dont want to go thru insurance co.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2009 hundai sonata
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet. Have an apt for an estimate tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess thats it.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 12 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Can you post a picture of the damage? It would be much easier if I could see the issue at hand. Thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry no picture available

Replacement of the rear quarter panel is a very involved repair. There is a lot of work involved here. The interior needs to come out, the panel cut off, the new panel welded on, the seam hidden, then primed, painted and clearcoated. A quarter panel is the second most expensive panel to replace on a vehicle (the roof is the most expensive). WIthout seeing the damage, I cannot commend on if it can be repaired or not. The repair would be determined by your bodyshop. Most damage can be 'pulled out', with body putty filling the damaged areas that cannot be pulled. However, the more body putty is used, the more apt the putty could fall out over time. In the body shop business, the less body putty you have to use, the better off you are.