Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1988 Isuzu 2.6 injected engine. had charger on over night

Customer Question

1988 Isuzu 2.6 injected engine. had charger on over night but key was left on too. this morning cranks good but wwont start and no spark to the plugs.the fuel pump is on a seperate toggle so that was not running all night.
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: no power to the plugs. pulled a plug left on wire and no spark
JA: What is the model of your '88 Isuzu?
Customer: pickup 1988
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: some one tried to steal it last week and cut all the wires and distroid ignition switch etc. ran fuel pump to a toggle and a push button start for starter..every thing was working but seemed to have a draw on battert when sitting not running. put battery charger on for twelve hrs or so and now seems to have lost the spark. yes trying to fix myselfe for my young son.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no except i notice alt belt is pretty loose also but should not keep from starting I would not ythink
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 5 days ago.

It is very possible that the power transistor has burned out from the key being on. It is pretty much a transistorized ignition module and they always told us that when the key is left on, they will burn out. There is a test for it though, to be sure.