Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

3.5 L 04 Santa Fe, have everything real close for timing

3.5 L 04 Santa Fe, have everything real close for timing marks but when I pull the pin and go 2 revolutions its off a couple teeth on the rear bank, in your explanation from 5 years ago you say you start with them a tooth or two off the mark on the rear bank?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: ??, The battery is disconnected.
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, following directions to install timing belt, get everything lined up, I pull the pin on the auto tensioner rotate through and the marks are off. George mentions something about setting off a tooth on the rear bank in his post.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it, just having trouble getting the marks aligned after I spin it around a few times.

Hi Im David, and you have to conpensate for the jump when pulling the pin but seetind the cam sprocket back 2 teeth

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I've got the marks all set in the right spots with the two tooth shift on the rear bank. I was working on popping the belt over the auto tensioner pulley again when the rain hit so I've been sidelined until tomorrow evening. I'll let you know what happens.

ok. sounds good.

hows it going?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Got the belt on last night but things didn't line up after rotating, though it turns freely. There were two issues, somehow I did not get all the slack out of the radiator side and when I popped the belt on, I pulled the crank mark off by a half tooth. The other issue was I think I did the opposite of what you told me to do and moved the marks the wrong direction on the rear bank cams. I attached a sketch of the rear cams the way I had it set, if you want to check that and confirm I'm wrong that would help. If we get a good day this week I will take a day off and tackle this again in the daylight.

yep, they are the opposite of what you needed to set them at.

checking in to see how its going

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm a backyard mechanic with a day job and a 2 hour commute so things like weather and week days make it difficult for me to get to this. There was no mention of a 7 day limit when I submitted the question.

I know that is why I contacted you to make sure you get your question answered before that happens.

Do you need any more help? or service manuals? I have briefly gone over your question.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Belt is on, hopefully close counts on the rear bank, difficult to see with the belt on. Reconnected all the wires and fired it up, everything sounds great. I've got the engine bracket back in just trying to remember how to tighten that front bolt.

Sounds great, please let me know if you need any more questions. Sounds like you are almost finished with the job.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm calling it a day, sealing this up will be straight forward, though not necessarily easy given the design of this. Weather may be an issue tomorrow so if you don't hear anything before the case expires we're ok. Dave got me past the step that was holding me up.

OK thanks.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Dealer Auto Technician