Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

2003 Ford Windstar. The problem is that heat only blows out

2003 Ford Windstar. The problem is that heat only blows out of the vent. It will switch to floor and defroster, but those only blow cool air. I'm not sure if it a vacuum problem or a control door actuator problem.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: Additionally I noticed this summer that when I would accelerate up hill that the AC would start blowing out of the defroster.
JA: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm planning on doing the work myself, I haven't done anything yet. I'm trying to get guidance before I go poking around the dash or vacuum areas. There are no coolant leaks as far as I can tell.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of. Thanks.

'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

So it defiantly has a vacuum problem because of switching under acceleration. I would fix that first then see if it fixes the other issue. If it doesn't we will continue from there. But here are a few tests for you to do to see what is the issue:

1. Check vacuum supply to the mode switch. It should have the same vacuum as at the engine, typically 18-20" Hg. Also, the vacuum on the supply line should hold when turning the key off.

2. Repair the vacuum line to the control head and retest operation.

I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.

Thanks

Sonny

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
After all of that I double checked the antifreeze and it was practically empty. I refilled it and now I have heat again, but the rear heater still is not working. Could be the actuator?
That is a possibility but Let me look it up. It'll be an hr or 2. Is that ok?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks

ok so they had a few issues with the blend door actuator. But the easy way to see if that is the problem, is to gain access to it and change the temperature and see if it moves. it if does then most likely the heater core will need flushed out as they also can get clogged. If you can look and see if the actuator is moving and let me know then I can advise you on what to test. Let me know.

Also did you get a chance to look at the vacuum on the front to see why it is going to defrost and floor?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The vacuum looked good. Everything attached and working. I think the problem was really the low antifreeze. I will check the actuator tomorrow. We are putting up Christmas stuff right now. I will be in touch.

sounds good. I agree with you I think the heat problem was the low antifreeze. You are correct there. But it won't be the cause of the air going to floor and defrost when you accelerate. But that isn't a big issue. and yes tomorrow is fine. let me know what you find.

And please if you find my advice helpful please rate it such. doing so doesn't close the discussion.

were you able to check out my suggestions on the rear heater?