Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Turns over no start. battery is fine. May be the crankshaft

Customer Question

turns over no start. battery is fine. May be the crankshaft position sensor because I can't seem to get a spark but I don't hear the fuel pump working either.
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: I have tested the electronic connections for the injectors. What do I need to look for at the fuel rail?
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4 cyl 2.0ltr
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. The car was running relatively fine. It had not sat more than 9 hours in the cold. The one day it sat 24 hours in frigid temps and then it would not start.I have tested the battery and recharged the battery, Even let the battery warm up inside for a few hours. I have tested the ignition coil and am getting proper resistance readings. from primary and secondary coil. I tested the resistance on the sensor side of the crankshaft position sensor and they were way high from what the Haynes shop manual indicates range should be. I had a radiator replaced recently because of a bad leak. There looks like radiator fluid corrosion in the area of the crankshaft position sensor so I thought that it could be plausible. I've tested the injectors connection and they are getting proper power. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of equipment but I doing the best I can. I have exposed the fuel pump access and cannot hear or feel it working when I crank the engine. Supposedly the is a test connection for the fuel pump on this care but it is not where haynes or online information says it should be behind the air intake plenium.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

Let me see if I can walk you through testing the crank sensor and the fuel pump. I'll pull up some diagrams.

Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

Check the resistance of the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP). The specification is 500 ohms at 68 degrees F.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Well it about 39 degrees F. My meter is supposed to automatically choose the right range. It is reading about 9.6 megaohms.
Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

9.6 megaohms? That seems high. Really high. You'll probably need to replace it.

Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

So at the fuel pump you should be getting 12 volts on the yellow/red wire for 3 seconds each time the key is turned to the run position. That 12 volt source comes from pin 2 of the fuel pump relay.

Expert:  Jared D replied 18 days ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.