Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

My 2006 lr3 won't turn over..all lights come on as normal,

Customer Question

my 2006 lr3 won't turn over..all lights come on as normal, but when I turn the key in start position, nothing
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: the steering wheel is stiff and the key I didn't really look at. Yesterday it did this, but a few times of repeatable turning on and off the key it started. It did show parking break light and other things
JA: Are you fixing your LR3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had to come into work, so I drove my other car. I had some down time so I am doing some research online to hopefully fix myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Last night when I shut the truck off, the truck lowered all the way down.
Expert:  Matt replied 15 days ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cablesare on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine/ gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the startermotor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feedcomes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check theresistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery ispoor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are onthen this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Expert:  Matt replied 10 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you