Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

1996 dodge ram 1500 5.2 4x4 overdrive button on dash.takes

1996 dodge ram 1500 5.2 4x4 overdrive button on dash.takes off in 2nd. i have to shut truck off and restart and put in 1st and it works if i do it before 10 seconds goes by. it stays in first untill i shift up. and it shifts solid all thru.also the overdrive light only funtions in the first 10. also if i start it and shift to drive in 10sec it still takes off in 2nd.only way it's in low is start pull in low now.i've replaced all the electrics in trans and no fix
JA: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?
Customer: when the overdrive light is on it don't flicker and is bright.haven't scanned cause light isn't on
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it's my soninlaws but i'm a lisenced facility mechanic. i've replaced all electrics in trans with no fix.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats about it

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In order to determine if the problem is an internal concern or a electronic control issue you are going to need to start with scanning the computer system to see if there are any stored fault codes in the system. If you can get this doe and post back with the results I will see if I can help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi. the code is p0748 . on the scanner the output shaft speed will work for the first 15 seconds and after that it is stuck at where it's at at that time.

The code P0748 Can be set due to any of the following.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
removed relay and still no 1st unless restart and put in low before 10sec goes by.also the scanner readings freeze in place at 10 sec.the output shaft readings freeze where ever they are at 10 sec.then when restart they go back to 00.i think there is a short that shutts down the ecm?

That may be the case.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi.went to the link.with the relay removed should the trans take off in 1st when the shifter is in low without restarting engine. also I checked the 5v from the ecm and the power stays on as long as the key is on.it doesn't go away at 10 sec.but the values on the scanner do freeze in place at 10 sec.

If the transmission is okay it should if you shift it manually. Dose it do that?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no it has no change with relay removed. with relay out the only way to take off in 1st is start engine and put shifter in low before 10 sec goes by.then it stays there really firm.shift thru the gears and they are firm. thanks ron

Okay then the next step is to do step tow in the steps I sent you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi.i read the link.started first step.i can't get the link to come up can you send it again. THANKS ron

Yes be sure to print it out as it dose expire over time .

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0748%20Nov%2022.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tried test.with relay out it still has to be started and shift into low before 10 sec goes by to be in low.all the scanner values freeze in place 10 sec after starting so i can't check them past 10 mph.i'm stumped. ron

Unfortunately you are likely going to need to professional hands on testing here. I do not think I can fix it from here. I can open the post back up for you if you would like and perhaps someone else has something noew to offer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if can open it again.i get alot of cars that are problem childs that no one can fix.today i inspected the valve body.every valve.no problems there.this one is kickin my ass.it's my soninlaws plow truck.go figure.thank's for everything.ron
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not hearing anything.thanks ron

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is older than 7 days.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i don't know what to check next.i've ohmed every wire from the ecm and found nothing.maybe i have 2 bad computers that do the same failure. you can read this post to see what i have to do to get it in low.Ron

Ok I will review your question and get back to you shortly. Thanks for using the site to ask your question.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Auto Technician