Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I have a 2008 Suzuki XL7 that I was using to jump start

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Suzuki XL7 that I was using to jump start another car. It seems that a fuse or something blew, as I heard something click off at that time. Now it will not activate the starter. The "Service Stability Control" light is on the dash. I have a new battery. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere. The Equinox has an 80 amp Mega fuse, but my under-hood fuse box has none. So lights come on the dash when trying to start but the starter will not activate.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
After installing the battery I locked the car with my remote, and after the security light came on I unlocked it with the remote. So there should not be a security lock-down taking place.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 23 days ago.

Do you hear a click or anything when you go to start it?

Also, do you have a test light to use to check the fuses to make sure there is actually power at the fuse we need to check?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No click at all. The Equinox which is a similar car, has an 80 amp mega-fuse in the under-hood fuse box. There is none in my XL7 box. I read online that that can blow when jumping a car. Where is it on my XL7?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I replaced a 40 amp fuse that someone suggested effects the starter, and I replaced the starter relay. No change.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 23 days ago.

Translated does this mean you don't have a test light?
Can you check fuse #15 in the fuse box under the hood and make sure it's not blown?
If I understand your original post, you do have some power to some things on the car?

Just got your second post, this might be the fuse I am talking about.

Give me a few minutes to look and see if I can come up with the fusible link location for you

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I replaced 15
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
power is on the dash, the door locks, etc
Expert:  Mike V. replied 23 days ago.

Ok

So far I have only come up with the BATT3 fusible link, 50 amp in the box

Please check it, I am going to continue to look, I have some ideas to chec

Didn't want you to think I just vanished!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I took it out previously and inspected it carefully and saw no defects. I don't have a test light handy.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 23 days ago.

Might have something, it looks like there is a 200 amp fuse on the line to the starter from the alternator. This could be the fuse and it's inline, red wire off the alternator going right to the starter.

Start at the alternator and follow the red wire to the starter, this should be in there I am not sure if this is a blade fuse or a old style wire fusible link, but if it's the old style is should be burned if it's the problem.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 23 days ago.

I know it will take a bit but I will be here for a couple hour.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I used a test light and had power before the fuse and after it. So the fuse is good. The stabilization light is on from this event, and the starter is not activating. Can you find the 80 amp mega fuse? It is not in the fuse boxes, no connection for it.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 22 days ago.

Sorry, I got nothing, nothing showing an 80 amp megafuse in the system.

Just the main fusibles in the fuse box. I am going to open this back up for the other experts.

Perhaps someone has better wiring diagrams then I do and will be able to help you.

Please don't reply or it will lock it back to me. Sorry I wasn't able to help, but there's quite a few of us on here so maybe someone has come across this.