Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

Trying to get to the horn switch contacts in the steering

Customer Question

trying to get to the horn switch contacts in the steering wheel cushion under air bag. Already have it apart but scared bag will deploy if I start taking off the 4 nuts holding the metal bracket assembly in place. I don't see any other attaching screws, not sure what to do but need to get the horn working for the state of Virginia safgety inspection.
JA: How has the car been driving lately?
Customer: what does that have to do with my issue at hand? the rest of the car is fine.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo
JA: Are you fixing your Rodeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: sadlkfjsdfg
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nbo
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Disable the air bag system then when done enable it, as shown here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That does NOT answer my question, I'm trying to get to the horn switch under the airbag, Then contacts are stuck closed and I physically need to get to those contacts and see WHY it is shorted. The PDF you showed me explains HOW to unplug the airbag. Anyone can figure that out. I need to remove the airbag assembly in the cushion to get to the actual Horn Contacts.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, you want the instructions on how to remove the air bag, hold on.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

here is that entire section,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was trying to NOT deploy the airbag, These are instructions on How To deploy the bag. I appreciate you throwing PDFs my way but My question was clear. I hope this doesn't cost me 24.00 or I will dispute it. I'm going to replace the cover since there is No help online to be found about repairing the horn contacts or even getting to them.
WHY would I want to deploy the bag. I want the horn to work and the contacts are shorted so the solution is to deploy the bag. wtf
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

No that was the first section. I didn't want that section but the prodemand website is funny like that, once you look at a section even if you close it out whenever you go to save it, it saves everything you looked at. Scroll down the page.