Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

Clutch Problems With 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat.

Customer Question

I took the 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (10,000 miles) to the track. I smelled the clutch pretty bad and figured I roasted it. The clutch would slip and I would have to lift the clutch a lot higher before it engaged the trans. What's actually happening is that I have to put the clutch on the floor to change gears and the trans is engaging with the clutch like a half an inch or inch off the floor. tough to get in gear at a standstill.
Could it be something with the clutch master slave cylinder, throw out bearing or is it actually the clutch?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I race it maybe one or two times a year. If the clutch was toast wouldn't it slip? It doesn't slip. And wouldn't the pedal have to be let out farther to disengage the clutch? The transmission starts grabbing a mere inch or so off the floor. I had started looking into replacing the clutch with a racing clutch. A Mcleod twin disc, to be exact. But I had a guy tell me that it didn't sound like the clutch by what I was describing.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 26 days ago.

When the clutch disc wears, the clutch fork will come up further a bit causing the clutch pedal to come up, so yes you are correct. If the clutch is releasing down close to the floor, then perhaps you stretched the cable, just a loose cable, or something like that.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hmm. It's a hydraulic clutch.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
He could disappear? I removed the clutch delay valve a little bit ago. The connection is on top of the bellhousing. You have to pull that apart and remove the restricting apparatus. Then you simply put it back together. I probably should have checked the fluid level in the master cylinder and pump the crap out of my clutch. I think that could be the issue just a little low on fluid? I forgot all about that.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 26 days ago.
If it's low, then you probably have a leak.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I lost a little fluid when I removed the CDV. And I possibly gained some air. I now know I did not properly bleed the clutch system. Going out to do that now. It shares fluid with the brake system. Cross your fingers, but this has to be it. You might not have given me the answer but you got me thinking in the right direction. Either way. Thanks. Ill leave this open for a minute and ill get back to you with results.