Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

My 1998vwbeetle starts up and dies .why? yes but i bought a

Customer Question

my 1998vwbeetle starts up and dies .why?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes but i bought a new battery it has sat for 2 months
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1998vwbeetle
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and we put a new battery in it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best. I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

ok there is a special procedure i need you to do .

follow exactly

open the drivers door and leave open

disconnect the battery both terminals.

turn the ignition on in the car and leave on

then hook up the positive cable.

then hook the negative cable then you will hear noises (normal)

after 15 seconds then start the car and then try to drive and see if you have full throttle control without stalling.

if all is ok then ....

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang