Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Would misfiring spark plugs make a honda crv shut down will

Customer Question

Would misfiring spark plugs make a honda crv shut down will being driven? It shut off while was idling at a drive-up window and just recently when traveling on the highway at a good clip
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: It only happened twice and it is totally random. We replaced the battery after the first time.When this happens, I lose the radio and clock as if the battery died and I have to enter a reset code.
JA: What year is your CR-V?
Customer: 2008
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2008 honda crv
JA: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not fixing myself. brought it to a mechanic who changed the battery. it was fine until last week. really afraid to drive it on the highway.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that the radio and clock need to be reset after these episodes and the mechanic saw no sign of issues when he looked at the computer
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

ok, from your description, it sounds like you are loosing voltage from the battery. thats why the radio and clock have to be reset.

did they clean the battery terminals??

did they check the alternator???

Roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the battery was replaced and the mechanic checked the alternator
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

hello

another expert here

I'd 1st check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you