Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Got an interesting one. 05" Liberty, my back right tail

Customer Question

Hey everyone, got an interesting one. 05" Liberty, my back right tail light was going out, had no running light but had brake lighting. Took off the whole fixture 1 or 3 prongs broke, make shift metal connector and worked fine. Soon after, running light out again and brake light working. Then, my dash light went out, all of the in cab lights went out (not roof light, just everything on dash and a/c control) when I would hit the brake pedal the back right brake light would light up and the dash lights would light up. I hit the break, the whole dash lights up (this is of course at night when the headlights are on) take foot off the break, dash lights are dark. They seem connected and you all know how easy grounding issues are to find so please give me some insight as to where I can start my search instead of the lovely 4hr labor to pay just to find a short and then the cost of actually getting fixed. Thank you
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: Checked the bulbs and they have been replaced, almost definitely a grounding or connection problem. possibly dimmer switch?
JA: What year is your Liberty?
Customer: 05 Here it all is! Hey everyone, got an interesting one. 05" Liberty, my back right tail light was going out, had no running light but had brake lighting. Took off the whole fixture 1 or 3 prongs broke, make shift metal connector and worked fine. Soon after, running light out again and brake light working. Then, my dash light went out, all of the in cab lights went out (not roof light, just everything on dash and a/c control) when I would hit the brake pedal the back right brake light would light up and the dash lights would light up. I hit the break, the whole dash lights up (this is of course at night when the headlights are on) take foot off the break, dash lights are dark. They seem connected and you all know how easy grounding issues are to find so please give me some insight as to where I can start my search instead of the lovely 4hr labor to pay just to find a short and then the cost of actually getting fixed. Thank you
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not now, did you get the paragraph I just sent?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that story is the whole thing he/she would need to hear to help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Meant to say one of three prongs not, 1 or 3 prongs
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • Do you understand wire diagrams and using a volt meter. We need to check some module outputs.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry money is low, it would be best to talk over the phone with any odeas you may have or by email so it will be written down to refer back to later. It is 11:10am where I am. I can speak today but not for too long as I am at work, 15 minutes or so would be fine. What time works for you?

We can wait till your available longer. Its 12:30 here. I will be back online about 8pm my time for 6 hours. Would tonight work better, if so reply then. Phone diag is not going to work for electrical diag where you need diagrams.