mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

I have a 2005 kia sorento. Fuel pump quit. All utube u tube

Customer Question

I have a 2005 kia sorento. Fuel pump quit. All utube u tube videos are useless. I have removed the access panel, and and disconnected tthe fuel lines. Also removed tje 2 8mm nuts holding tje one electrical connector. No more nuts or bolts visible. Just 3 3 or 4 rivet looking looking things. Assembly is not loose.
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: No..car quit quit running 4 months ago. Just getting around to it now. . the fuel pump isn't making noise or delivering fuel.
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I removed the 4 access panel philips headd screws. And fuel lines. And 2 8mm nuts. And both electrical connectors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are u there
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mike?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I am showing 6 of those 8 mm bolts holding the fuel pump in place.

Please take a look at this illustration from the instructions in the manual.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, my internet seems to be slow this evening.

This is the 2wd model, if you have the 4wd model it might be different so let me know.

On the 4wd you might be pulling the wrong side pump as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are are no nuts or bolts..just rivet heads. Nothing to to remove. Illustration is wrong. Now what?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Is it possible for you to upload a photo of what you see?

They don't rivet fuel pump assemblies into the gas tank, so I want to see what you are seeing if its possible.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Wait
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I can wait, no problem at all.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's what I see
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
3 rivet heads. No nuts. Assembly is not budging
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are u there?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

ok

The two nuts you removed are for the fuel tank pressure sensor. These other nuts should be out on the ring on the outside. Normally there are small studs that pop out, but they might also be bolts, I can't get a good look on the outside ring, but the outer ring will come off and then the fuel pump module will come out.

Yes, I am here, but it takes a second to type :)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No nuts on the outside ring . No visible nuts ANYWHERE. ACTUALLY, no outside ring. Do u see an outside ring in the photo?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

can you tell me if this is a hole in the ring or not?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

This should be the outside ring.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

lol, I can't argue with you here, I don't see any nuts on that ring anyplace. I also don't see any taps that would lock it in place.

I am probably going to have to open this one back up, the pump can't just be glued in there. What you see is the top of the sending unit

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No holes anywhere
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wiped off all the dirt and felt for anything that might give me a clue.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a stumper.
Expert:  mike switzer replied 4 months ago.

is your vehicle 4wd or 2wd?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2wd
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sent pictures ...did u see them?

yes i did. have you tried washing off the top of the tank? i would recommend it anyhow because you dont want any of that dirt and debris to get inside

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will wipe it clean AFTER you tell me how I get the fuel pump removed. Do you know how to remove it? It should be easy. I can't find the fasteners.

im wondthere should be screws around the edge.ering it something is being hidden by the dirt buildup the pictures are hard to tell.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I agree. But there are NO screws, nuts or fasteners of ANY type. Is this glued in place? I spent 10 minutes feeling around EVERYWHERE on the inside and outside of the ENTIRE assembly. Wiping off what little dirt now remains isnt going to make fasteners appear, unfortunately. What do you suggest? There are 3 small protruding steel nipple things. Are these for some special tool to grab onto so it can be twisted off?

what is the production date on your kia? it will be in the on the drivers door jamb... either top right or left of the sticker with the vin and barcode. just a 2 digit month and year

ok i searched my system two years newer and it looks like the outer part of the ring were the screws should be is a rubberized cap that needs to be pried off to access the screws

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks.. I will start prying it off in the morning. That HAS to be it....nothing else makes any sense. . I'll start working on it all around little by little until something comes loose. Unfortunately, it seems like the rubber will be destroyed. I guess I can put a ring of silicone over the fasteners when I reinstall?

do it gently of course but it should come off and that wont be the seal so destroying it will not matter. the seal will be under that ring with the screws.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately, it's raining and 9pm here. What time is it for you?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to be honest, all I remember is that there is a ring of silicone outside the whole apparatus. Didn't really seem like there is a separate ring, but it MUST be separate. Otherwise, the fuel tank would require removal. Doesnt make sense.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will check for the production date tomorrow as well.

sorry my internet went down how have things gone.