Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a '90 Defender 90. I just it up with high test, and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a '90 Defender 90. I just it up with high test, and it shuts off, I've had it towed, and as soon as I get it home, it starts again! It's happened twice. Is it ignition? Fuel line, spark plugs?
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: I filled it on Wednesday. It was almos empty. I do smell gas. I have to use my choke to get the idle up until it warms up.
JA: Are you fixing your Defender 90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. I took off the distributor cap, tried cleaning the rotar. Was thinking of changing the plugs next..thoughts?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I recently replaced the ignition...could that be related?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This sounds like an ignition fault here causing this issue needing corrected.I have seen issues with the ignition control module or coil that can fail or act up suddenly or intermittently just like this here needing replaced.I would have the ignition components tested to see if the ignition module or coil or any other components are found to be an issue needing replaced to resolve this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete