sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2011 California convertible top start to go down, stops

Customer Question

My 2011 California convertible top start to go down, stops and message appears roof malfunction. Why?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: reopening and also the trunk will not open with remote key of manual button inside the car.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You're seeing the message and the top stops moving because the module that controls it is seeing a component in the incorrect state. The module watches the state of each component through microswitches and if it sees something in the incorrect state whether it's due to a mechanical failure, wiring issue or failed switch then it will cause what you're having.

If no visible problems can be seen then a scan tool is going to be necessary to diagnose the issue. The first step will be to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there.