Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

My 1986 Alfa Romeo Sypder Veloce is continuously pouring raw

Customer Question

My 1986 Alfa Romeo Sypder Veloce is continuously pouring raw gas into Cyclinders and flooding out engine. We have put on new fuel pressure regulater and checked out the cold start injector, and are now moving in the direction of replacing the mass air flow sensor. We have no diagnostic, and I don't just want t throw money into it in wrong way. Any ideas or directions for me to go?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

for a injector to be on constantly then either the wiring loom to the injectors is damaged and shorted out or one or more of the injectors is damaged

if the ECU or other sensor input was demanding the fuel then the injector would 'click' or pulse on and off as this is the normal operation

So I'd suggest the next step is to check wiring loom for damage

if thats OK then I'd pull the spark plugs to see if you can identify which injector is on all the time

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Matt,
We are already looking at the wiring, and will have some answers tomorrow. Also BJ at Italian Motor Service down in Texas is willing to check out the mass air flow censor and fix if necessary. Think we should send it down there to him? Will contact you on what we find. Thanks a bunch.. Pam
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

hello

if the mass airflow sensor is faulty then this too can result in the injectors overfuelling

The main thing is when measuring the resistance of the AFM (pins 2 to 4) while moving the flap the resistance changes in steps which many people see as a fault.

When measuring the output voltage, the voltage should change smoothly from about 0.3 volts (flap fully closed) to about 4.25v (flap fully open).

If the voltage changes suddenly at any point of the travel of the flap then the carbon track inside the AFM needs cleaning or the wiper needs to be bent slightly so as to travel along a new section of the carbon track.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Matt,
We will check out and get back to you. I have had this car for 26 years, and it is love of my life. It is in eautiful condition, wish I could send you a picture.Pam
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

you can use the little paperclip icon to post an image up

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Matt,Can't find paper clip icon, where is it?Pam
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello Pam

it should be at the top

in the tool bar with the bold and underline buttons

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Matt,Sorry, I am in my 70's and can't find a 12 year old to help me!Pam
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Don't worry about it Pam

try the things I've suggested and get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Matt,Sorry to have left you hanging over past week. The Alfa had to be towed to a new mechanic, and I was waiting to see if he needed you. He found a bad relay, and car is now running, He is also going over everything with a fine tooth comb, which is what I need on a car that age. Thank you for your help, and I will be signing you off with satisfaction now. I do not want to continue with a subscription of Just Answer, I did not sign up, but am worried that they may continue to bill me and I don't know who or how to notify that I do not want that. Can you help me by doing that for me, or telling me what to do? Thanks again for all.Pam Juillet
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hello Pam

providing you haven't paid anything extra then you won't be under any subscription

you pay a deposit up front and once you press accept on my answer then this deposit is split between the site and expert

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen.

then you are done