Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

My 2014 Kia Sorento GDI AWD has a hesitation at 35 to 40

My 2014 Kia Sorento GDI AWD has a hesitation at 35 to 40 mph. The dealership has already replaced the transmission, cleaned the fuel injectors and replaced 3 of them, replaced wheel bearings in right rear wheel, but the hesitation still exists. Also at higher speeds, but most noticeable at 35 to 40 mph. Any idea what it could be?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: No, gas mileage has not changed, and it still starts same as usual.
JA: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. It is under warranty and has been only to the dealership. They have been unable to find the cause so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know what the problem is. Habe

Hello, my name is Andrew. I am a Kia & Hyundai certified technician, so maybe I can help. Can you tell me if you know what led them to replace the transmission? Also the fuel injectors?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have no idea. They used computers to try to determine the cause, but honestly it seems like they just don't know what's causing the hesitation. They were also conferring with Kia headquarters specialists. At first, they thought it was the rear tires. They had just over 27000 miles on them. Wanted to sell me new tires. I said no, so they put tires from another car on mine. It didn't stop the issue though. This has been going on for a year now. Each time they work on it, they say the problem has been resolved. But it hasn't. I've taken it back to them at least 5 times for this problem. Have another appointment tomorrow, so would like to be able to give them some idea as to what to look for.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I can't agree to a phone call from you. I'm a 79 year old woman, and not a do-it-yourself mechanic. I'm also living on a very limited income, so all I can afford to pay is what I've already agreed to. Do you have an answer for me as to what the problem could be?

Without the vehicle in front of me in a situation like this it is hard to give you any specifics on what it could be. However, I would mention to them to look at the electronic throttle control, as well as cleaning the throttle plate. There have been many issues with the Sorento and those things causing a hesitation. I hope this helps.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating me 3 stars or higher or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.