Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

The Navigation System on my 2003 Honda Pilot EXL often loses

The Navigation System on my 2003 Honda Pilot EXL often loses my vehicle location and I have to perform the location correction. My vehicle is equipped with 2013 Black DVD update US V.2.AO..How can I fix this so it doesn't happen again?
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I removed and reinstalled the DVD and checked for loose connections on the back of the DVD unit
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Pull the nav unit and check the connector for the gps antenna. I have seen loose connection cause this problem is in the past. This could also be a problem with the gps antenna itself. Has the vehicle been painted? If the paint is too thick on the gps it can interfere with the signal. If is has the body colored antenna on the roof, this is depending on the option on the vehicle.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Dan my name is***** have removed/reinstalled the antenna connector shown on the Majestic Honda parts illustrated item #007 P/N 39835-S9V-A01 as you suggested.
I noticed after reconnecting the antenna connector, I had to perform the location correction.
One other symptom that I forgot to mention was that the new 2013 Black DVD Update US V.2.A0 that I purchased at 2013 worked fine. Then after several months later the DVD would, occasionally, show on the GPS screen –“see dealer cannot read DVD” after starting the engine.
One time I tried the old DVD and it didn’t help so I put the new DVD back in.
However, if I restarted the engine The Navigation system would work fine for a while.
I have a good feeling that your suggestion should hopefully resolve this situation.