sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee CRD with the following fault

Hi There,
I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee CRD with the following fault codes.P0657, P0758, P0613.
Spent a fair bit of time online with Sprinkles08 last week and thought we had the problem solved.I replaced the TCM , cleared the codes and all seemed fine for about 10 minutes then the trans locked in 3rd gear again and wouldn't change up or down.Switched off engine and restarted and trans was ok for 1/2hr then failed again.I need help please!

Hi again!

You did have a couple of things going on previously and needed to start with replacing the TCM because it was setting an internal failure code. You were also setting solenoid codes which could be a solenoid or wiring issue.

After the TCM was replaced and it went into limp in again did you find all of these codes had set again?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there,
good to talk to you again!
Yes. Faults are P0657, P0758 and P0613.

Is it in limp in constantly now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know if this means anything but the shifter wont select any forward gears other than D
So I don't even have to drive it now to know its faulty.

Let's go ahead and run through the solenoid resistance tests again and see what you come up with.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK,
I'll have get back to you in a couple of hours.Got a job to do first.

Not a problem. It's nearing 12 AM here and I will be offline for the night shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I now have a workshop manual to help me.
Solenoid resistance as follows;
2-3 solenoid 3.8ohm
3-4 solenoid 3.7ohm
Shift pressure solenoid 3.6ohm
TCC solenoid 4.1ohm
Modulation pressure solenoid 3.9ohm
1-2/4-5 solenoid 4.1ohmI disconnected the electrohydraulic control unit harness connector at the transmission and checked continuity of all solenoid wires back to TCM. All OK.
Checked all solenoid wires back to TCM for short to ground. All OK.
Checked 2-3 solenoid circuit for short to another circuit. No problem.
Checked resistance of 2-3 solenoid between control circuit and and voltage supply circuit at TCM 5.5 ohm
I did find some trans fluid inside the harness connector at the transmission. I cleaned it out and all connections look OK.
I then plugged everything back together,cleared the codes, and took the car for a drive. It starts off in second gear and will not change up or down. Bugga! Fault code reads P0758. No other codes. What do you think? If the 2-3 solenoid was physically jammed or sticking would it still register a fault code?
A bit of history.The original transmission had a bearing failure at 230,000km. I replaced it with a used unit out of a wreck with 110,000km on the clock. I replaced the oil and filter when I fitted it. This transmission has been in the car for about 3,500km/5mths and has performed faultlessly until 2-3 weeks ago. It started faulting once or twice every couple of days and became progressively worse.
I'm out of idea's.
Whats the next move?

Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1J8HD58M35Y569535

I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

It's possible that the solenoid isn't performing correctly electrically under a load, which may not be showing up with a resistance test. The circuit resistance is well within correct range when you're testing. Possible causes for this code are the 2-3 solenoid, it's wiring, the TCM and the lead plate on top the valve body. The solenoid would be the most likely.