Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

It won't start. It was at least trying to start but now it

It won't start. It was at least trying to start but now it won't do that. Where is the starter located?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes ma'am. It's not even trying to start though. All the lights work but it makes no sound when trying to start it like the starter isn't engaging
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2005 dodge sprinter 2500
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked all the fuses and I replaced the glow plugs Saturday. It was running good then. This morning it wouldn't start and I was draining the battery by trying to start it. Then it quit even trying to start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am

Is the truck turning over on the starter OK ? as your question implies that its still tries to crank / turn but just doesn't fire up?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No sir no it's not even trying. I'm trying to access the starter relay now.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Where is the starter relay?

the starter relay should be in the fusebox under the hood

If the truck's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What do you mean "turned over by hand?"

I mean can you put a breaker bar with a socket onto the crank nose bolt and wind the engine over 2 complete turns?

if you can then all is mechanically well

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How do I access the ignition switch?

you will have to remove the trim around the steering column thats usually held in place with some screws

once the plastic is slipped off you will be able to get to the back of the switch with a meter

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you