Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

My 2007 ford explorer is stuck in park at a store. is there

my 2007 ford explorer is stuck in park at a store. is there a way to override it so I can take it to ford to get repaired? I believe the part is under a recall
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: i think i have brake lights, no codes
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my husband is on his way home from out of town and i just want to get my car home so he can look at it when he gets here. Plus, I don't want to leave it in front of store
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thank u

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Column shifter or floor shift?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Floor shift
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not at my car right now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello

This can be caused by inoperative brake lights, a failed shift lock actuator or wiring concern. The problem will need to be diagnosed with several tests which involve checking brake lights, and then accessing the shift lock solenoid to test for power and ground. In the meantime until you can have it serviced the picture below explains how to override the shift lock so the vehicle can be driven.

Here is the procedure for overriding the shift lock.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the hole at the left bottom of the top cup holder? I just push down that hole with a screwdriver and move shifter at se time?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
34;Same time"

You remove the cover and depress the shift lever, while stepping on brake pedal you should be able to move the shifter into neutral.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, then start the car and proceed?

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank u so much!!

Your welcome

Please rate at the top of the screen and it would be appreciated, thanks! Let me know if you need any more help.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks