Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field

My 1985 jeep wagoner keeps braking radiator the mountings

My 1985 jeep wagoner keeps braking radiator the mountings tear away from the core and start leaking Ive gone through 4 radiator?

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the radiator mounts are snapping off, you have one of two possible problems:

1) the motor mounts are weak or broken. This allows excessive lateral movement of the engine which causes the radiator hoses to move too far and flex the radiator. Over time, this stresses the mounts and the radiator snaps off.

2) Much more common would be the radiator support (the flat metal panel that the radiator attaches to) has been replaced or repaired due to a collision. Sometimes, the support is not replaced properly. This allows the radiator support to flex when the vehicle moves over bumps. I would not be surprised to see that the radiator support is either installed improperly, is bent, is not a correct replacement part (non-Jeep, in other words), or, a combination of all of these.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It looks like radiator support is moving back and forth crushing in on the radiator braking it loose from the radiator core & the tank?

The radiator support should not move at all. This is critical to locate the other panels properly. If the radiator support is moving, something is either disconnected, the welds have broken, or the support was not installed properly. You need to get a body shop to look at this to rectify the condition or your will continue to lose radiators

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you ***** ***** Ive got a shop looking at this

Very Good. Thanks for choosing Just Answer!