Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have used a computer scanner and discovered the following

Customer Question

I have used a computer scanner and discovered the following codes. PO302,PO300, and PO303. I am thinking the ECM may be going out or botht eh number 2 and 3 ignition coils are going bad. HELP!
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Those are the exact codes. The first one says Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected, the second says Random/ Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected and the third one says cylinder 3 misfire detected
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Fiat Pop(###) ###-####
JA: Are you fixing your 500e yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be fixing it myself. I have not tried anything at this point. The ECM is running the car on limp mode.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: About a year ago, I had to have one of these ignition coils replaced. Also I have replaced the spark plugs via a mechanic about a year ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Not to worry and never jump to conclusions on these engine management issues, they can be properly isolated.First thing to do is write down exact cylinders that are misfiring, then take the coils out and put into the cylinders that are firing and see if the misfiring follows them. You have to erasse the codes first to see if it changes.