sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2006 diesel smart car. I bought it used. I never

Customer Question

I have a 2006 diesel smart car. I bought it used . I never got much more than 12 MPG. No smoke then the other day it dropped to 8mpg with smoke. Very rich diesel smell. 2days later I am at 1-2 mpg at slow speeds with a high of 5 mpg. at 100 kph ???? Map sensor ? No check engine light on.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The most likely cause for it running that poorly would be worn or leaking injectors. When injectors wear or leak then they will inject fuel that the engine controller doesn't request and can't account for. If it becomes bad enough then it can cause excessive smoke and even vaporized fuel leaving the exhaust.

The first thing I would recommend is checking for fault codes. If there are no codes that point to a control system issue such as an inaccurate sensor or injector control circuit issue then you'll want to have the injectors tested.