Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Just replaced brake pad and caliber. brakes locked up,

Customer Question

just replaced brake pad and caliber. brakes locked up
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 145000 no
JA: What year is your Caliber?
Customer: its brand new
JA: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just replaced. bled lines
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, did you replace them because the brake locked up, or did the brakes lock up after replacing them?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, is it just the same one locking up or have you verified that it is all 4 locking up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't know if all 4 are or not.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I put tire on and give it a try
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, I am a bit confused. If you havent put the tire back on, how do you know the brake is locked up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't spin the hub that holds the tire on.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, open the bleeder at the caliper for about 30-40 seconds and then close the bleeder and see if the hub spins

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still tight
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, Is the rotor flat against the hub and not angled at all?

If possible can you take a photo of the rotor and caliper from the front and then from an angle looking down at them and then use the paperclip icon on your reply box to upload them.

I believe this is going to be in how it was put back together and not an hydraulic issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You have number I can text pics. Will not load
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

The caliper or caliper bracket is cocked at an angle and grabbing the rotor by the looks of it. Remove the caliper(leave the hose connected to it, and remove the caliper bracket. Use a lug nut hand tightened to keep the rotor straight, and then reinstall the caliper bracket, pads and then the caliper, making sure to keep the caliper and bracket straight.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.