david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

It has to do with the climate temp control. At 65 degrees

Hi...it has to do with the climate temp control. At 65 degrees the air comes out cold like normal but if I increase it by 1 degree to 66 the air comes out hot like at about 80 degrees. This seemed to have happened after a shop checked the computer and adjusted it
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: the engine temp is fine...it the cabin climate control
JA: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pardon?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One thing to know...the original reason the Pathfinder wen to the shop was that the "Check Engine" light was lite and the diagnostic showed the IAC was the issue. They cleaned it but still had the same result. The SUV was functioning normally so they checked the connections & cables...finally the computer itself, which they said was outputing a low voltage (3V I think) so they upped it to 5V I believe (but don't quote me). The "Check Engine" light reappeared so nothing they did seemed to change anything....except that the climate control went out of whack as described above.

Hi Im David, what year is the pathfinder?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2001 Pathfinder LE 2wd

im going to find you a actuator recal procedure to see if that will take care of the problem

there is no reset procedure for the vehicle. while sitting in the vehicle with the key on. move the temp control from hot to cold and back to hot. can you hear the actuator moving full travel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do u mean by "...moving full travel?" ...and what should I be listening for exactly?

an actuator motor running. full travel should take a few seconds

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I be listening in the engine compartment or inside the cabin?

inside the cabin. with the key on. not started.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, will do. The truck is at a shop around the corner (where they're stumped). I'll drop by tomorrow morning & check it out to let u know.

ok thanks

any update?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just got word. So it seems that the actuator motor is working as the temperature is increased from 65 but the door allowing the gradual mixing of cold & hot air fully closes immediately instead of gradually (if that makes any sense)...hence causing the air to go hot at 66. What do you think?

they need to recalibrate the the actuators.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how?

is it at the shop? they should know how to do that

what engine is in that? 3.3?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is at the shop, yes. The motor is the 6 cylinder 3.5L.Would this discalibration have been caused by removing the computer before?

sure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they seem pretty clueless regarding the recalibration...they will consult with a Nissan technician. Hopefully they'll figure it out.Regarding the IAC, which started all this, if the "check engine" scan is still indicating the IAC, even though the truck is functioning well, do you recommend changing it? (they have already cleaned it & everything). If so, is the Hitachi replacement part good quality?

check the reference voltage and ground to the iac first. no sense replacing a part if the wiring is the issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They apparently/supposedly did that as mentioned earlier...but I'll double check the they did what u specifically just mentioned regarding the groundi & voltage.

ok

any update?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The guys at the shop are clueless & the Nissan technician hasn't gotten ack to them as yet.I was wondering, what did you mean when u said that "There is no reset procedure for this vehicle." If is is possible to recalibrate....

as far as re calibrating the actuator for the hvac system, there is no procedure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what do they need to do then in terms of recalibrating the actuator?

they will need to access the actuator to see what its physically doing. and then try to reposition the flap to match the actuator position

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds complicated, at least for clueless blokes like the ones at the shop where the truck is at.

they are lazy and dont want to access it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, my position is that they caused the problem when they removed the engine computer & adjusted it...so it falls under their guarantee with no additional charge. Am I in the right in terms of them having caused the problem?

if it worked ok before, then absolutely.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It certainly did...never had a problem with the climate control
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do they need to remove half the dashboard or something to access the actuators? Lots of work involved?

i have to get out of this shop. ill be back on in about an hour we will continue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

the temp mix actuator can be accessed through the glove box. it will need to be removed and you should be able to see the actuator.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Haven't heard back from them since I called late Friday afternoon...I'll be calling again tomorrow. I'll let you know, thanks!

ok, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
these guys are moving at a snails pace. He finally says that he is going to have an HVAC shop have a look to see if they feel confident that they can fix it...if not he'll have a Nissan agency Service Center do it...I'll keep you posted.

ok. good luck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No such luck...they say they attempted to recalibrate by moving the flap in coordination with the actuator but it returned to what it was doing prior.They say they think that the controller is faulty.Does what they are saying make any sense?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are also claiming that the engine computer does not connect with or affect the hvac system....that it deals with the engine sensors, fuel injection, etc......and as such their work on the computer would not have effected the climate control.Make any sense?

it only makes sense that the controller could be bad. if its bad then it wont allow communication with the computer either.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks...but is the hvac controller connected to the computer in the engine compartment? Could the manipulation of the computer have effected the hvac controller?

anything is possible, but i dont believe that that could be proven

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hear ya...proof is another issue.So the main point...the computer in the engine compartment & the hvac controller are connected...they are not separate systems or on separate lines as they are saying. Correct?

every computer, module, programmer, processor in the vehicle interface with the main computer one time or another.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks!Their proposition is to find a good condition, used Nissan hvac controller (that installs into the dash) on a "try it with an option to buy" basis to see if it is in fact the controller. I agreed. They're attempting to track down the part now.

you're welcome. if you were satisfied with my assistance, please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me. thank you. have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the meantime I got the truck out of there. Think I should take it to a Nissan Service Center & have it checked out.

i second that ...........

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello David...I'll be more than happy to rate your answer, however I thought we were going to see what the Nissan agency technican was going to come up with before we closed the topic.So, the agancy checked things out, dismantling the dashboard and they said that the problem does seem to be the climate controller, indicating that it needs to be replaced...but Nissan does not carry them anymore.Funny thing though, they say that the "check engine" light error code also indicates the HVAC system, not the IAC as indicated by the other shop.Question is: If the "check engine" light had to do with both the HVAC & the IAC, would the scanner indicate both error codes simulateously? Do you think the other shop confused the HVAC error code with the IAC error code or is it possible that once the HVAC is fixed the IAC error code will pop back up?

the iac and hvac dont have anything to do with each other, and its just possible the other shop has no idea what they are doing. the hvac normally doesnt turn on the check engine light as it has its own fault memory. which can be obtain through a self diagnostic on the climate control panel

its possible the iac will still fault. but wait til after the controller is replaced. you can find one on ebay.

thank you for the rating. i truly appreciate it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hmmm...that's strange then right because the Nissan Tech said the "check engine" light is on for the same reason the climate control doesn't work, due to a problem with the HVAC. So is that possible or not?...also, how does one run the self-diagnostic on the climate control panel?In terms of the part #...is 275002W600 compatible or does it have to be 275002W900? Again, the truck's a 2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5L

part number for the processor?

that second part number isnt showing up anywhere.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry..that was meant to be 275004W900...and yes it looks like that has to be the one for 2001. Waht about the self-diagnostic and the HVAC turning on the check engine light?

Nissan Auto Climate Control Diagnostic:

To run a self-diagnostic for the DCC:
Turn engine on. Within 10 second of starting engine, press and hold ‘OFF’ button on the DCC for 5-10 seconds until all segments on the display light up.

Test 1- Display Test. Look for any missing segments or icons
Press Up arrow to get to Test 2.

Test 2 – Input signals from each sensor Wait a couple seconds and it’ll display error codes (20=all ok, 21=ambient, 22=in-vehicle, 24=intake, 25=sunload (test in sunlight to prevent this error), 26=PBR)
Press Up arrow to get to Test 3 or Down arrow to get to Test 1

Test 3 – Mode Door Motor This test takes a little longer. 30=all modes ok, 31=vent, 32=B/L, 33=B/L, 34=Foot/Def 1, 35=Foot/Def 2, 36=Def
Press Up arrow to get to Test 4 or Down arrow to get to Test 3

Test 4 – Actuators Test Pattern Toggle modes 41-46 by pressing defrost button on ACC.

Test 5 – Temperature Readings Press defrost button to toggle through sensors (ambient, in-vehicle, intake in that order). If the temp is -22, then that sensor is not working. The temperature can also be adjusted to compensate for differences between temp setting and the temp felt by driver. It can be adjusted 6 degrees up or down. While in Test 5, press the fan switch and then the temp adjustment can be made using the Up/Down arrows.

Hit Auto button or turn car off to exit self-diag.

ill check back with you in a little while gotta do some running