Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Customer Question

JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1997 caddilac eldo north star
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: over my head...if it was a steering pump bad both right and left would be the same?,
JA: Have you checked the fluids recently?
Customer: first thing i did says full on dip stick
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 16 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What has to be done is to have the under carriage inspected for any bent tie rods or control arm faults.Most likely these are o.k. since this occurred suddenly with no reason.

If these are o.k. you are correct,if this was the pump both left and right would be affected and since it is only left this indicates a mechanical fault with the rack and pinion steering gear.There are internal mechanical components that can break like worm gears or internal gears and cause this issue.I have had to replace the rack and pinion before in the past for this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete