Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Shifter Lever stuck in neutral, not sure, how would I know?

Shifter Lever stuck in neutral
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: not sure, how would I know?
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2001 Tribute
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, but trying to find the part, apparently the cable broke, just need to know what would be the correct fit
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to order the correct part

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. I will send you a couple links , one to show you the proceedure for replacing the shift cable and another with the ome part number. Notice for the part number there are two to choose from ,early and later versions so you will have to check your vehicle's production date to order the right one. Hope this helps you and if you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so. http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=995&ukey_model=14371&modelYear=2001&ukey_category=20291&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&isOnSale=0&searchTerm=

The same thing happened to my 2001 Mazda Tribute. It was stuck in Neutral. The shifter cable fell off the little metal post under the steering column. To fix it I removed the plastic column covers. Put the round end of the cable back on the little silver colored post. Then secured it on the post with a ring type push nut from Ace Hardware. Total cost of repair was sixty cents. The cables are not always broken. They just fall of the little post.