Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe with 164,000 miles. In August it

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe with 164,000 miles. In August it overheated for the first time. I added about a gallon of antifreeze to the cooling system, and every thing was back to normal, except for a very faint smell of burning rubber. I've driven it at least 1000 miles since then. Last week I noticed that the heating system is not emitting much heat. Three days ago a pressure test was done on the cooling system. It was determined that the engine has a blown head gasket, and that the price of fixing the car is more than the car is worth. But it runs as well as ever! Good pick up; no smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Yesterday I drove it more than 150 miles from Baltimore to Fredericksburg Va and back. No problem. No overheating. No smoke out the tailpipe. Today, however, I added about a 1/4th gallon of antifreeze to the cooling system for the first time since August. But the car seems to be running as well as ever. I'm planning a 600 mile round trip to North Carolina on Monday. Should I attempt this; or is the risk too great?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Yes. Like I said, a pressure test was done on the system and there were no leaks.; just a blown head gasket.
JA: Are you fixing your Vibe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I have a mechanic, but took it to a dealership on Wednesday.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I think that's it. My question is whether I should risk diriving to NC and back.
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

I would err on the side of safety and say no. it may be leaking a little right now but could get a lot worse very quickly and leave you stranded.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.

Roy