Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have Range rove p38, 1997, I am getting a tranfer neural

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have Range rove p38
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1997
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am getting a tranfer neural message on message center
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's still driving but showing that message
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been done to try and locate or correct this fault or anything done on your vehicle recently that may have caused this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing has been done so far I remember
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This is usually a common fault with the motor that shifts from high to low range at the transfer case itself.In some cases you can shift in and out of hi and low range a few times and it will cure this fault as the position can be lost over time with no shift from hi to low being used and this may correct this fault.If this does not resolve the issue here then I suspect the transfer case motor is at fault needing replaced.I have had to replace it several times in the past before for issues like this here.You would need to have this tested further to see if for sure this is the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a question that if we can't continue this conversation right now can we continue from here again
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I apologize,did you get my post above at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,just wanted to make sure.

If you need anything else you can come back here as long as it relates to this issue here that you had asked above on.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank Pete actually I live in Pakistan and it's time for bed that's why I was asking can we continue from same place we left
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually I tried to remove the fuse 11 which was already there and the transfer neutral was there before as well. Are there any steps you want take before we chat again
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Did you try shifting in and out of*****hi and low to see if it resolves the issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah I tried that but the message is not going off
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,do you hear any noises under the vehicle when shifting in and out of 4 low?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think so but not sure I still have to check
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are there any other things you want me to check so I can get back to you tomorrow
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and read all computers in your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.This is the first thing that needs done.I suspect the range motor on the transfer case is at fault as this is usually the most common cause for this fault here.