Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

My car was serviced and timing belt and water pump changed

Customer Question

Hi my car was serviced and timing belt and water pump changed based on some noise coming from the car. This fixed the car and noise however two days later the car was idling a little rough and then would not start. Now the mechanic is saying that it is the head gasket. Could the work they did on the car have caused the head gasket to leak?
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 177km. There was a mechanical noise coming from the car but it ran fine
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Daewoo Lacetti 2004. There has been no issues with it up until now
JA: Are you fixing your Lacetti yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Local mechanic for regular service and for this work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The auto mechanic that attended tried to manually turn over the engine and could not. He said that the engine had seized and to get the mechanic to check the timing belt. The car was towed back to the local mechanic who said that he could turn the engine and that the timing belt was fine, saying that it is now the head gasket and that there was no coolant in the car. Coule the local mechanic could have done something wrong when changing the timing belt and water pump to then affect the head gasket?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 22 days ago.

Hi I'm Kevin I would get car looked at by another garage to ensure timing belt is good as if this fails it will cause your type of issues . If belt was done properly then it will have no effect on head gasket . Also if car has just been serviced they should have picked up on the fact there was a coolant leak