Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

If you have a vacuum leak, is it always necessary to drop

Customer Question

If you have a vacuum leak, is it always necessary to drop the engine to repair the lines?
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Looking at a 10,000 dollar recommendation, I would surely look for a second opinion here. That is a tremendous amount of money to replace some vacuum lines. This sounds more to me like they priced your parts and labor estimated deliberately way too high so they would; not have to do the work. You do not drop the motor to change certain vacuum lines. Bentley or otherwise, 10 grand sounds like an incredibly high and incorrect estimate. I recommend you seek a second opinion from a reputable repair service.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is a very reputable repair shop as it is an official Bentley dealer. My concern is that they are not providing a least cost solution to the problem, but an expensive total solution. This is why I was seeking advice.

I agree. You are not getting the least cost option here. 10 grand is ridiculous, in my opinion. Bentley dealer or not, that does not give them a license to charge 10 grand for vacuum line replacement. One could easily fabricate vacuum lines and install them without dropping the engine. That is what I would offer before I told my customer 10,000 dollars to replace.