Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Why does the GM 4l30E transmission vibrate, like driving

Customer Question

Why does the GM 4l30E transmission vibrate, like driving over rumble strips, when shifting from 4th to 3rd gear? Is there a solenoid problem or something else wrong>Thanks.Riley
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 2 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it sounds like torque converter shudder. it will give that feeling when the clutches slip.

how long since you changed the oil/filter in the trans???

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oil & filter changed about 2,000 miles ago. Also added some shudder fix oil. That solved the torque converter shudder. Now this is a different kind of vibration on the 4th to 3rd shift. Beg the differ, but I don't think it's the torque converter.I should also mention, there are no codes set or any check trans lights showing.Riley
Expert:  Roy replied 2 months ago.

codes will only set with electronic failures. you have mechanical issues.

the fact that you had a converter shutter concerns me. the clutches may still be slipping and if they are bad enough the additive will not completely stop it.

other wise, it could be a clutch failure internally or valve body. hard to pin point from here with out visually inspecting

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your input. I'll do some more investigating locally. I think I need to have someone test drive my truck and see if the know what the problem is. At this point, if you can't drive it, you can't solve the problem is my thinking.Thanks.Riley
Expert:  Roy replied 2 months ago.

I agree. hard to do from a distance without seeing or touching

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy