david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

Bought non running 2.2 2007 vue. intake valves bent.

Customer Question

bought non running 2.2 2007 vue. intake valves bent. Installed new water pump and chain, reconditioned head and timing set. previous owner replaced catalytic converter, coils, throttle body. Engine will not start. No spark, middle injectors open and dump full fuel pressure into cylinders. Also code P2637 sets.
Category: Car
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. please allow me to look up some info for your vehicle. thank you

ok, what other codes are set. with the conditions you explain there has to be more than that one code.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
100 percent serious. Fuel rail is hooked up and plugged in but 4 cups under it. All wires that I know hooked up. Turn the key to run, two injectors dump the full load till pressure is zero and reader has only one code P2637. torque management feedback signal"A". I don't even turn the key to run and I get this code. I erase it double check it's gone and turn to run again and there's the code.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I DO turn the key to run but not to start. Sorry.

so the injectors are just feely dumping fuel into the cylinders with the key on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correct. Center two dump till the pressure is gone. 20 ml each. Of course if I unplug the wiring to the injectors they don't open and I've swiched with an older set and always the same thing. To add insult to injury after the head swap cyl. compression was approx 105 on the end two and 130 on the center two. I assumed the center two were higher only because they had enough fuel in them at the time to seal the rings for a minute or two.

wow.

those injectors shouldnt open until a signal is given to them to pulse. which comes from the ecm ONLY when cranking

the ecm is the only thing that controls injector pulse based on signals from the crank position sensor

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thought so. Got a salvage yard ECM and no change. What's up???? Why that weird code????

the p2637?

P2637=gasoline engines use spark plugs to cause an explosion of fuel within the cylinder. In a properly timed engine, this explosion occurs at the proper moment to send the piston to the bottom of the cylinder and provide power to the drive shaft. If the plug wires are out of sequence, the explosion occurs at the wrong time. The improper timing of the explosion sometimes pushes the cylinder the wrong direction or interferes with the turning of the crank. As a result, the engine stutters or backfires, if it runs at all.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well you know there aren't any plug wires to mess up on the 2.2. Dude before me replaced the coil part of the ignition that sits on the plugs but not the ignition module part. Dunno why they didn't get switched together. I'm not even attempting to rotate the engine and I get this code. Next step or guess???

check the timing, and check the crank sensor and reluctor wheel. make sure the crank sensor isnt loose or damaged and make sure the reluctor wheel isnt bent or installed backwards. you're gonna have to put #1 cylinder at tdc on compression stroke and check all the marks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Check the timing. Do you mean chain and cams? If so does the timing chain cover need to come off to do it? How can I really check the reluctor wheel? It isn't exactly accesible. What would I expect if I unhook the wire from the crank sensor?

to check the timing you would need to remove the timing cover yes. to make sure the cams on on the marks at tdc and you would need to look at the reluctor wheel once the cover is off. there is no easier way. who did the timing chain and tensioner replacement?

initial timing mark shown here. once the initial timing marks are aligned with the colored links on the chain, the marks on the chain and on the sprockets will never line up again, so you need to make a mark on the rear case for the cams when you set the crank at tdc. then make sure they closely resemble this diagram

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will pull of the cover in the morning.

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
O.K. so timing chain cover off. Engine rotated till gold links on the cams and crank and dampner notch at the timing mark. So the cams were on their marks. How to check the reluctor wheel on the crank? Only access without dropping the pan is the crank sensor hole. Turned the crank one revolution with my finger in the hole and the reluctor feels to run true and the sensor wasn't black or beat up. Can the cams be installed 180 degrees off from the reluctor wheel?

if you had the engine at #1 tdc and the timing chain colored links matched to the sprocket marks on the cams, one matched to the "ex" and the other matched to the "int" and hte crank colored link matched up the the das or circle on the crank gear, then that all you have to woory about.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah the chain is totally cool. I was wondering what it really took to get the tensioner spring to activate. It's a blind thing you know with the stick something in to push the guide in to activate the tensioner. You just can't see it work. ten and two on the exh. and intake marks and the little dot on the crank gear all on gold.

sounds right

i think its time to look at the computer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ECM bolted to the intake?

hang on a sec. ill send you a pic

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah on the intake with two major connectors hooked to it and one ground. I switched it out with a salvage yard one on Saturday with no change.

i dont think you can just switch it out with out it being programmed to the VIN .

http://www.nastf.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3461

you need a passthrough device like a tech2 scan tool or a drewtech cardaq

then you need to relearn the security system...

turn the key to run and "bump" the crank position...leave the key in run for 11 minutes

then key off and on and repeat 2 more times...total of 11 minutes

then key out 1 full minute and it should start

tap the key into the crank position

turn it to run then to crank momentarily (1/2 second) and then just release the key

it will turn the security light on OR it will flash on and off for 10 minutes

once that light is off OR 11 minutes has passed, you turn the key off and do that procedure 2 more times

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's one heckuva dance. Since I'll need a big boy shop to do that procedure what is usually the labor key time on it? Is there a way the old computer could have forgotten who it was? Obviously I want to be sure of things before I spend the cash at a shop.

anytime you swap a computer, its not just plug n play. i have no ideas what the shops cost we be. everywhere is different

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Since the two computers both have the same symptoms is there a way the old one could have fallen out of sync with the vehicle?

im sure they dont have the exact same issues. first of all there is no way to tell because the junkyard one isnt programmed to the vin. the spark and fuel control is ultimately controlled by the ecm. the only other possible far fetched thing that may fix something here is a crankshaft position sensor.

any update?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry. Been reinstalling everything I took off to figure out the problem. Haven't turned the key since but If things are the same and there are no other options I will trailer the Vue to one of the local shops to re configure the computer to the Vue.

sounds good. keep me posted

Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you are satisfied with my assistance. I will leave this open after you rate me in case we need to continue. thanks have a nice weekend