Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner

I was in the process of selling my 2004 Mercury Sable and

Customer Question

Hi, I was in the process of selling my 2004 Mercury Sable and went to get the mileage off the dash , I have the title reflecting 83,169.00 miles, but in order to sell the car she needs the miles now, well, the light is OUT, could not get anything, so NO SALE. I have another buyer, but again, I need to get it fixed to sell the car.. What can I do? I cannot find a part number anywhere foe an odometer. I'm of course, a little stuck
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I have checked the fuses, but was told that, , the fuses were not the issue here, where are the dashboard bulbs?
JA: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to trouble shoot, I'm on my own here, I know nothing about cars other than what people tell me, a mechanic told me it was the odometer panel and that it needed to come out and would be about a 100.00 to 150,00 cost it has something to do with a electrical board circuit board inside nd has nothing to do with a fuse, but a neighbor tried the fuse anyway to no avail.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: meaning what?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can he tell me what I need to fix this ? a part ? can he get me a part?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

There is no bulb here. Its a digital LED display built into the instrument cluster. Your quickest fix is to replace the cluster.

In most states if it is over ten years old or the mileage is over 100k or you cannot report accurate mileage for some reason you can just write EXEMPT in the mileage box and it will be titled without needing the accurate mileage. You may want to check in to that.

I can help you find a cluster if you give me your zip code. Just let me know if you want me to locate one near you. You probably wouldnt be able to get it until tomorrow. Most salvage yards are not open sundays.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks