Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I believe I am having some electrical issues. Car won't

Customer Question

I believe I am having some electrical issues. Car won't start, cables are on good, no cliccking when I try to start, don't believe it's the starter
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Now this problem happened early in the day, my car overheated and then when I put coolant in it and tried to cut it on it wouldn't cut on, a friend told me to take battery cables off and try in hour, I did and the car started, 3 times within an hour or 2 I drove to work, put my phone on charger while car was on(not turned over) tried to cut it on to make sure battery was good and it didn't start
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 99 land rover discovery
JA: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far just me. I wanted to checc the fuses, but I need plies to pull them as the car is at my job. I tried taking the battery off again and trying that, but nothing. That's about it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I thought it could be my alarm system, but my hood is stucc so I can't reset it, that's about it
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Do you own a volt meter?

Did you address the coolant leak?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a volt meter and I did not, but I just recently bought the vehicle and the owner said it had been sitting for a year or 2 with no driving just cutting on and off. Im not sure if it was a leak or if there wasn't any coolant to begin with. I was going to get everything done, oil change, tune up etc, but It wouldn't start the day of

Since you do not own the tool we need to diagnose these electrical issues. Can i assume your not looking for info on how to diagnose but more so on what could possibly be to blame even though the answer would be more general without diagnostics being done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Honestly whatever will get it started, I plan on taking it to be thoroughly looked at especially since the sunroof is stucc. I am by car now and can run through a diagnostic test

Do the headlights shine bright and do they remain bright while trying to start?

When trying to start do you at least hear something clicking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No no cliccing and the headlights shine bright even while I start it, not sure if it means anything, but I have the car on right now (not turned over) and I hear a noise, not loud kind of low, but a noise like a type of vibration or something if that makes sense, it sounds like its coming from around the engine or somewhere im not too sure

That wraps up all the diag we can try with no tools. Lets force it to crank to see if it will start, when means there is an input to the starter relay likely missing. Turn the key to the run position. At the starter motor use a pair of pliers or a bare ended piece of wire and touch it briefly across both wires to the back of the starter solenoid. This should make it crank and possibly start.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I want to try in morning because I have to leave my job now, but if I could come bacc you around lunch just letting you know what happened or where im at with it

That would be perfect.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris