Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Will having a too high of stall converter for Intown driving

Customer Question

Will having a too high of stall converter for Intown driving cause overheating and will it also feel like it is held back like not connecting
Category: Car
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

It can cause an overheat condition. It should not feel like not connected. What size stall is it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a 3500 stall converter and it feels like it's attached to a rubber band if that makes sense, it feels as if it's not grabbing all the way almost as if it's slipping I'm not sure how to explain
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.

If you put the vehicle on drive and power brake it does the RPM go to 3500 before it moves? When it does move does it feel solid or slipping? Depending on engine you may be able to exceed the 3500 but the trans should feel solid.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it hits 3500 and pretty much launches and drives solid in that aspect, it's just a mild pulling away from lights and stop signs that it feels like it's being held back, I also have a decent cam and aluminum heads and a few other things so I know that this thing should run friggin hard this is the first time working with this higher in the stall converter so I'm a little bit concerned
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like you are OK. The high stalls will cause over heating so I suggest an external cooler.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't want to sound rude but you really didn't help me, I have external cooler I've done all that homework, I was hoping for something else that's all
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.

No problem. I will opt out ans see if another expert can answer question better.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Different tech here, would you like my help?