Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Restricted performance msg from lad rover sport 2011, 2011

Customer Question

restricted performance msg from lad rover sport 2011
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2011 land rover sport hse
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes , nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: is it possible tofu without taking it in
Category: Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i was driving normally when this warning msg came up
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method

limited performance mode can be brought on by a lack of fuel pressure, a faulty cam phaser, high coolant or oil temps so as there's such a variety it really is best to plug in the scan tool 1st

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you