sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

06 camry le. Check engine light slow acceleration code p0171

Customer Question

06 camry le. Check engine light slow acceleration code p0171 running lean black smoke now coming out exhaust. Engine ticking
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had someone check it out he feels may need new oil pump. I dont know how to check if sensors need to be replaced
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Im on a budget would like to know where to start so i dont spend a lot of money for nothing
Category: Car
Expert:  Cary York replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

What size engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
4cylinder 2.4L

Is that the only code you have P0171? And do you have a small scan tool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not on me. There was another code i think it was 134. Said system lean but now i have blavk smoke from exhaust
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Theres engine ticking longer startup poor performance high pitched noise when i try to accelerate

Well for one sounds like a possible O2 sensor not switching properly. But need a scan tool to verify. O2 could be stuck on the lean side and loading the mixture up but not reading it properly. That would be my first thought without a live data reading. Engine ticking and high pitch noise, something else. Did this all start at one time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Engine ticking has been there but is noticeably louder now. The whining started a day after my oil change which was a week ago. And that was the same day my check engine light came on

Well as far as the black smoke and the check engine light, we will need a scan tool to sure. Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No

You can try an O2 sensor if you want. Or buy a scan tool and voltmeter. Do you think you can replace it yourself?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have help so i could. The 02 sensor can cause the much bad performance?

Not the noises you are describing but drivability issues and black smoke? Yes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can i check for leaks

What leaks?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just reading up on sites i see that this code along with bad performance can be from leaks also
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're setting a lean code and the engine is actually running rich it's because the upstream oxygen sensor signal is incorrect. Odds are the problem is the sensor itself but it's possible that an exhaust leak upstream of it could be affecting it's signal. It's hard to say without hearing the noise in person but it's possible that the tick you're hearing is actually an exhaust leak at the manifold area.