david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have had a 2003 Range Rover apart for several months

Customer Question

I have had a 2003 Range Rover apart for several months replacing the timing components. I have it pretty much put back together but I have a clamp kind of shaped like a miniature distributor hold down that I can't seem to find a place for. It looks like it would possibly hold a tube in place. It says "TOP" on it and also "ST 37-2". I was wondering if anyone would know where this possibly goes.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

hello

this coudl be the hold down clip for an AC pipe onto the pump?

if you use the paperclip icon, you cna post an image up of the part?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not seeing a paper clip icon. I am going to go look at the compressor. I thought it had a built in flange on the tube, but hopefully you are right.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The AC lines have built on flanges.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I sent a picture of it- did it come through?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
From what I can gather ST 37-2 is a type of steel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

hello

Ok I don't recognise that part but its almost certainly a hold down clamp for a fluid pipe of some description

if its not the AC then I'd next check where the automatic transmission oil cooler lines plug into the trans and onto the cooler rad

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced the transmission cooler- it has the U shaped wire retainers. I figured it is to hold some type of hard line in place. The only hard line I removed was the one for the air pump that goes to both heads and it has welded on hold down clamps. I was hoping that someone that had done several timing chain jobs on this type of engine would recognize it. I guess there is a slim possibility it didn't come from this job but it was in the box with all the other parts from the job.
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

OK ill opt out and open this up to others as they may recognise it

good luck

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you and thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't heard from anyone yet.
Expert:  david craig replied 7 months ago.

hi im david. does that hold down the fuel lines at the rail to the regulator?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi David- the fuel line has a quick connect at the only place I disconnected it. This is truly a mystery. I have run the engine and everything seems to be working fine. I had the thing apart for months as the owner wasn't in a hurry and I have bee slammed at my shop for months. There is an outside chance it doesn't even belong to this vehicle but it was in the box with all the other parts from the vehicle. I have looked over the area I had apart several times and don't see any tubes that need a hold down! I was hoping there was someone out there that had done a bunch of timing chain jobs on these that would recognize it.

did you have any transmission lines or power steering lines disconnected?

checking in to see how its going