Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

Changing front driver side cv axle shaft. picked up new one

Customer Question

changing front driver side cv axle shaft. picked up new one at advanced auto that was said to be exact fit. I put both side by side and they look the same and counted splines and that is the same but new one is about 3/4" shorter overall length..i don't want to install it if its wrong but I am also understanding that maybe the new ones are compressed
JA: What year is your Fit?
Customer: 2004 pntiac grand am 3.4 enfine
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: automatic with about 85k
JA: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fixing myself. it was in small accident tire blew out, control arm bent stabilizer link broke, axle looked funny so I decided to replace whilke I dad it apart
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Providing they sold you the correct part then you may very likely be right and the axle is just compressed. That being said you should be able to mount it in the trans axle and pull it to length to the nut will start in it with the hub in place. I would contact the parts supplier and have them double check the part number just o be on the safe side.