AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner

I have a suzuki vitara 92 model usually very trustworthy. I

Customer Question

I have a suzuki vitara 92 model usually very trustworthy. I parked in supermarket carpark and when i went to start the car it made a funny chugg and noise and it wouldnt start. Well the timing belt had snapped and found this out when towed home my partner put a new one in and ive heard all the horror stories about what damage they can do. It starts and idles but when you drive it it gets to about 40kms/hr and then dies in the arse it feels like its not getting enough fuel or something. It keeps going but not real well at all. It has fuel in it and i think my partner changed the fuel filter and it also got a new water pump when timing belt got done Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 month ago.

Hello. When the timing belt broke, one of your pistons struck a valve, and now as a result you have a cylinder with lower than normal compression. This can be confirmed by doing a compression test on each cylinder. I am certain you will find at least one cylinder to be lower than it should be. The only way to resolve this would be to remove the cylinder head and replace the bent valve.

I truly do no like having to deliver such news. I much prefer to tell people that their issue is simple and inexpensive and brighten their day, but unfortunately I can't do that every time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much but where the fuk am I going to find someone to do that without getting ripped do you think I should get another motor.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much are these valves anyway.

The valves themselves are pretty cheap, however to replace them is a pretty involved job and requires removal of the cylinder head so that's what makes it an expensive job. This happens nearly every time a timing belt breaks or strips like this. I would probably suggest finding someone 'qualified and willing to do it on the side for extra income as they will likely do it for less than a repair facility would. alternatively, you may be able to find a replacement engine, but you wouldn't know the history or condition of that engine and would definitely want to replace the timing belt on that engine right away to avoid this again. In addition to that you would have to pay someone to remove the old one and install the new one. It may be more cost effective to find someone able to repair yours on the side.

Hi. Did that help at all? I just want to make sure you go the answers you came here for. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank-you Brian my partner can remove cylinder head and then take it to some block he knows to check it out and have it repaired if damaged and what not.We are trying to save for a deposit on home so anything to cut cost would be good.

Your welcome. If he can do that, that would definitely save you a lot of money. If you need anything else please let me know.