sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My sister was driving and the car broke down as she turned.

Hello, my sister was driving and the car broke down as she turned. Later we found one of the "smaller" serpentine belts was shredded (we believe it was the power steering). We replaced it, but now we have a crank no start issue. We have fuel; we tested with starting fluid still no start. We used the test light to find that we do have spark. The timing is right on. And we should have pressure. Crankshaft should be fine.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Did the car shut off while turning and has not restarted since then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is true.

Did the P/S belt or one of the other serp belts actually shred and break?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the belt was definitely shredded. There was two of them one larger (AC) and one smaller (power/steering). The smaller one broke.

Did you check injector pulse or just fuel pressure? And how do you know the timing is right on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We can smell the gasoline and we test the starting fluid. I rotated the timing till it was dead center, and all the marks lined up

OK. So you can see the marks on the camshafts through the cover?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have not check the camshafts marks, I will check now.

I would love to help but its difficult to describe through messages. I will send a request for a phone call. Its not just one call. Once you accept the call we can hang up and call back as much as we need to.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was confused for a bit. Yes, I checked the timing by the cover and the camshaft sprocket.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it won't run on starting fluid then you either have an engine mechanical issue, no spark, or possibly an exhaust restriction. Can you explain exactly how spark was checked?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We used a test light that hooks up between the spark plug and the coil. It lights up when we crank the engine.

A test light? Do you have an actual brand and model?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It only stop working after the serpentine belt broke. My father thinks it is some kind of fail safe after the engine shut down. Or some kind of programmed kill switch after 190,000 miles. The only thing that I found on the internet was some Ignition Fail Safe Sensor idea.

Do you have an actual brand and model of what you used to check for spark?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
AVC R5-2.

I'm not seeing any reference for that online to determine what it actually is.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think any codes if there was any have been cleared, from the battery being disconnected for a long period of time. It was unplugged for about a month before I got to working on it.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting. Crank the starter for ten seconds without letting off and then check for fault codes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We don't have a scanner, and it would not be worth it to towing around the car and have still not starting up. However, I am will to buy this scanner because of the price. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w2977/overview/ Do you think this will suffice.

That's a generic code reader rather than an actual scan tool but would suffice for basic engine code reading functions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, so after the scan. There was no code. But, I tried comparing the other info and found these ones different. CAT not ready, EVAP not ready, 02S not ready and EGR not ready.

You did crank it for at least ten seconds without letting off the key directly before checking for codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But, there is still no code. Interestingly, around 5-6 seconds. It kind of chug a little, but not fire up completely.

Has fuel pressure been checked with a gauge?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, but we already check with the starting fluid. According to the scanner the fuel is ready also.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you know anything about the ignition fail safe sensor on top of the air intake.

A scan tool won't tell you if fuel pressure is present unless the vehicle has a fuel pressure sensor, which this doesn't.

There isn't a part called an ignition failsafe sensor.

If you believe spark is normal on everything cylinder and cam timing is correct then the next step will be to test fuel pressure. If spark is truly present though and it won't run on starting fluid that either points to an engine mechanical issue such as incorrect cam timing, or a severe exhaust restriction.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What would be a typical problem or issue when the oil pump of the serpentine belt brakes?
The oil pump is inside the engine. If it failed then oil pressure would be lost. If the engine was allowed to continue to run with the oil light on then damage would be done. If the oil light wasn't on I'd have no reason to suspect the pump failed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so, I found oil on the spark plugs. I'm going to replace the spark plugs. But apart from cleaning them is there other things to do because I want to make sure it will start before putting back on the intake cover.

Were they oil fouled or did you find liquid oil on them? If there was liquid oil on them it came from leaking seals at the top of the spark tubes. It's not related to the no start condition.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both. The spark plugs are darkened would that mean it is oiled fouled.

That would indicate internal engine failure if the spark plugs were oil fouled to the point that it wouldn't run. It would have been smoking severely and using a large amount of oil up until the point it wouldn't run. I don't believe the oil you're seeing is related to the no start condition.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello, ok so you were right about the timing. The timing belt would slip as the engine rotate; probably from the tensioner being lose. We aligned the timing and tighten the belt up to specs. Also the cranksensor seems pretty beat up because the part of the plastic broke off. So we swapped it out. However, we still have a crank no start.

Do you have a compression gauge?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No we don't have one.

If it was out of time with the engine turning then odds are the intake valves are bent. I would recommend checking compression. You may be able to borrow or rent a compression gauge from a parts store such as Autozone.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, so the compression from the front valves are all zero. I did not check the back ones. Would the back one have interference problems too? But, anyway what is next?
you'll need to check compression on both banks. The front head needs to be removed to replace the bent valves and make sure there is no guide damage,if there is no compression on the other bank that head will need to come off also.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank for the help. We decided to put in a used motor, because by the time we took it out and tinker with it, all of that effort would be equivalent or more than just putting a used motor.