Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Can not get 1998 Isuzu rodeo out of park

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name siCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Do the brake lights work? Which solenoid is clicking? The engine starts and runs good?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Brake lights work engine starts when you press on break that solenoid under shift lever does click
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! YES. I am still here. Just had a bad connection.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

If the brake shift interlock solenoid is clicking, chances are it is simply bad and needs to be replaced. Because it makes noise when stepping on the brake pedal, this means it should be getting power and ground.. but you will want to verify this before replacing it. It will have two wires going to it. One will have FULL battery voltage and the other will get GROUND when you step on the brake pedal. Once this happens, the solenoid will click and should allow the shifter to be moved from PARK. If you are getting FULL battery voltage and a good solid ground and the shift interlock is not allowing the shifter to be moved from PARK, the shift solenoid is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a shift lock override on the rodeo
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Only if there is a place to insert the key by the shifter. However, I dont believe there is one on this vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

You are most welcome!

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!