rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

On a 1996 Land Rover Discovery with 4 liter V8, under higher

Customer Question

On a 1996 Land Rover Discovery with 4 liter V8, under higher heat weather conditions 80+ F, if it is driven and full warmed up, stop for a short period of time (20-40 minutes for example), it is hard to start and when it does start it stumbles quite a bit for several minutes until it smooths out and runs perfectly. A shorter stop is not a problem. A longer stop is not a problem. I have found that I could relieve pressure in the fuel rail via the test port and it usually starts right up under these conditions. Is there a permanent fix?
Category: Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.

You may have a fuel pressure regulator leaking causing it to be very rich at that time interval, just enough time to leak all down.

Then when you do what you said, you're equalizing the pressure allowing it to start easier. Another part called a purge valve in the EVAP system will do the same exact thing. Either problem is not an expensive fix, under $100.00.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you to see if you have any more questions.
Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No more questions. It is doubtful that I can fix it for under $100. The fuel pressure regulator part lists for $200 (plus or minus a bit depending on where one finds it).
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

That may be true, so please remember to rate me 5 stars for my time.

Thanks, Ron