Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

My utw is using a lot of water but nothing is getting in the

Customer Question

my utw is using a lot of water but nothing is getting in the oil what is wrong with is
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: last week
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Isuzu wellside 1989 ute
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I put a stop exhaust leak in it but nothing has changed
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it shutteres when I start it at the moment would that be a spark problem as it goes away prity quick
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

Hi .

Okay if you find you are using up a lot of coolant then you need to put the cooling system under pressure like pump it up to 15 psi

and check the hoses ,water pump ,radiator etc and see if there is a leak .if no leak the pressure should stay 15psi for over 10 minutes .

If you see no external leaks but the pressure is dropping then you have a cylinder head gasket leak..this could be your problem as you said the engine at cold start up shudders ,you may find the coolant is leaking into one or more cylinders after you switch off the engine. common issue .

If you have every overheated the engine in the past then yes this could be your problem .

Need further assistance then please get back to me ,if you rate now good you will not have to pay for anymore assistance with this question, just come back to this page .

Rgds Greg