Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles

I have a 2008 hummer 3 that is having a no start problem I

Customer Question

I have a 2008 hummer 3 that is having a no start problem I think it is the anti theift device. how do I ck if it is bad
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model of your '08 Hummer?
Customer: h3
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am a retired Winston cup mech
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: its not the starter or the valves. I try to start wont ten min later it starts I think thee device thinks it is being stolen
Category: Car
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
still waiting.

sorry to keep you waiting

1-is there a red security light flashing or steady on dash while trying to crank ?

2- You need to have the vehicle scanned by a GM diagnostic scanner or equivalent that can communicate with Anti theft module and retrieve the fault codes in the module memory and based on the fault code numbers, we can look up the Troubleshoot on it & also the scanner be able to, check the key immobilizer, in case the system lost the key synchronization with the anti theft module,& also check several components of the system , like the antenna ,the receiver module, door switches etc...

3- do you have one or 2 keys ,and have you tried to start with the other one .

4- has this problem happened before or first time or it is been intermittent issue with the vehicle ?

You can try this procedure below ,sometimes it will reset the module, but not all the time, even if it cranked up you still the system tested to see what caused it .

Master Reset Procedure

1-Disconnect battery ( Both Cables ,The Negative & The Positive Cable )
2-Touch Cables together and hold 60 secs and let go
3-Hold Brake pedal down 10 secs
4-Wait 15 minutes and then Reconnect Battery
5-Close all the doors ,hood & trunk .
6-lock the car with key from driver door ( IF your car is Equipped with a bladeless key , then just locked with the keyFob)
7- Unlock car & Start your vehicle

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat