John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing within 10 to 15 minutes of

Customer Question

Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing within 10 to 15 minutes of starting,i changed the relay and it continues to blow the fuse.2003 izuzu rodeo*****3.2
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 140,000
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just changing the fuses.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When cold it starts right away, when hot the starter engages a little longer.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is John.

There are 2 reasons this could happen. #1 is the fuel pump is in the process of failing and the fuel pump motor is drawing too many amps which causes the fuse to blow. The fuse protects the wiring against burning if the pump starts to draw excessive amperage. The fix here is replacing the fuel pump.

#2 possibility is a bad spot in the wiring. If there was a dead short the fuse would blow right away, so we don't have that. We could have a bad spot in the wiring so when you go over a bump in the road or around a corner (for example) the wire touches ground and the fuse blows. I think this is less likely if the problem seems to be related more to running time instead of random or driving conditions.

If you have an amp meter you can check the current draw feom the pump and see if it is in fact drawinf excessive amps. I would think oin this vehicle you should see somewhere around 6 amps current draw when the pump is running normally.

I hope this helps give you some direction. If you have more questions about this or would like more info on testing please let me know.