Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Landrover Discovery 2 with Service Engine Light on. Engine

Customer Question

Landrover Discovery 2 with Service Engine Light on. Engine has tappet noise and gets worse under load. Accelerating and going uphill makes more noise. Engine recently rebuilt.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Mechanic to figure that out. What year is your Discovery?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you fixing your Discovery yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: N SUV has 150k
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hello

I'd begin by checking the state of the engine oil pressure so I'd 1st suggest measuring the actual oil pressure with separate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port - i

if this is all OK and the oil pressure is at least 1.3Bar ( 20psi) at hot idle then its possibly a sticking tappet or a leaking exhaust as these can sometimes make a tapping noise with a gas leak at the manifold joint

Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you